Marilyn Monroe, the poster child for the classic red lip. It’s bold, glamorous and a little bit sexy. Just like her. Synonymous with femininity this iconic beauty staple is always in style and can transform any look – it just takes some confidence.
One way to garner up the courage to wear a striking red lip colour is knowledge. Knowledge is power and the more you understand about the shades you’re buying and how to apply the product the more comfortable you’ll be.
When faced with 20 different shades of red lipstick it can be really overwhelming, especially if you’re just getting started. A lot of people say “I can’t wear a red lipstick” however it’s not as intimidating as it may seem, it’s usually just because people haven’t found a colour or texture that’s right for them.
Let’s start with finding the right shade for your complexion. First, you need to understand the difference between your skins surface tone and undertone. Your skins surface tone is the colour you’d describe yourself as (light, medium, dark) and your skins undertone is the colour under the surface (cool or warm).
For those with a cooler complexion (pink, red or bluish undertones) it’s best to look for classic blue based reds. Try jane iredale’s Hot PlayOn Lip Crayon or Passion Lip Fixation for a long lasting matte finish.
For women with a warm complexion (olive, peachy and golden undertones) should try to source reds that are infused with orange hues, think deep oranges and bright corals. We love jane iredale’s Peach Lip Pencil applied all over the lips for a matte finish or Saucy PlayOn Lip Crayon for a vibrant orange red.
A milky porcelain complexion and dark hair lends itself well to deeper shades of wine and berry reds. Try jane iredale’s PlayOn Lip Crayons in Naughty and Luscious, or Berry Lip Pencil with Annette PureMoist Lipstick.
Medium to Dark Complexions
A medium to dark complexion looks stunning when combined with a deeper classic red such as Cindy PureMoist Lipstick and Crimson Lip Pencil, pair this with a black winged liner and you’ll have the ultimate red carpet look.
How to Create the Perfect Red Lip in 5 Simple Steps:
- First remove any surface dryness, try Sugar and Butter Lip Scrub for a smooth and polished finish.
- Ensure the skin tone around your mouth is even and free from any redness, use foundation or concealer and take right up to the lip line, dust a very light layer of translucent powder over the edges of the lip, this will create a matte barrier to help prevent your lip colour from bleeding.
- Once you have applied your lipstick, go back and clean up the edges of the mouth using your foundation, concealer or complexion powder, by using a brush such as the Angle Liner Brush to apply, this will help keep your outline precise. If you’re using a pencil to outline your lips, take a clean firm brush such as the Detail Brush to blend away any obvious hard edges, then follow with your lip colour. For the precise application of red lipstick without outlining your lips first, try applying your lipstick with the Bent Liner Brush, it’s pointed tip gives you the precision of a lip pencil so your outline will be spot on every time.
- If you’re concerned that your red shade will be too bold, why not try wearing the same shade as more of a stain? You can try dabbing a little on the lips so the coverage is more transparent. Try using jane iredale Forever Red Just Kissed Lip and Cheek Stain for a sheer and long lasting colour.
- Also to avoid getting red lipstick on your teeth, pop a tissue around your index finger and slip between your lips to remove any excess.
Check out the full range of jane iredale products to complete your look.